Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Alone in the Universe

I've been thinking lately about my self perception.

And the ever-ambiguous charge to "be myself".

But that requries knowing who "myself" is. When I was younger, I didn't really know. So, utilizing my fourteen-year-old ingenuity, I created an outline.

Smart. Kind. Determined. Perfect love for others. Vast knowledge of current events and all things scriptural. Multitasker. Even tempered. Diligent. Perfect hair. Perfect body. Perfect grades. Good friend. Good sister. Good daughter. Everybody loves me.

The most important part was the last one. I based my success on whether or not people liked me.

That is not a happy way to live, let me tell you.

Over analysing. Constantly comparing. Always doubting.

Bending to that harsh, little voice that wants nothing good for me.

That's sure not who I was created to be. That insecure, self-critical, lonely person.

Heavenly Father created me to have no fear
of bugs. 
And whose plan is it that I doubt myself anyway? It's not Gods.

"Sisters, wherever you are, whatever your circumstances may be, you are not forgotten. No matter how dark your days may seem, no matter how insignificant you may feel, no matter how overshadowed you think you may be, your Heavenly Father has not forgotten you. In fact, He loves you with an infinite love. Just think of it: You are known and remembered by the most majestic, powerful, and glorious Being in the universe! You are loved by the King of infinite space and everlasting time! He who created and knows the stars knows you and your name—you are the daughters of His kingdom." -President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
I am a daughter of my Heavenly Father. I know that He knows me, and He loves me.
I am who He created me to be.

Now that I've figured that out, all other opinions of me mattered a whole lot less. I'm happier, self-confident, and I feel loved.


But it took me getting to the point of feeling like I wasn't good enough, like I wasn't measuring up against some vain, temporal ruler for me to see the truth; I am worth so much more than any definition with which my peers can label me.

So I plead with you reading this -- don't do what I did. Don't let anyone determine your self worth, except He who created you. He who knows you perfectly. He who loves you.

You are who He created you to be.

That simple truth is the only one that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment